at the turn of the
|The first mechanical box reached,
when travelling west along the South Wales main line, is at Llanelli, although
it is no longer of signal box status. It is retained as a "ground frame" to
control the level crossing some distance west of the station.
opened around 1877 (as Llanelly No.4) making it a very early survivor of the
Great Western Railway's architecture. The box later became "West" and somewhere
along the line the spelling was amended to Llanelli.
Originally, the box
was smaller - it was extended in 1904 to accommodate a larger frame; however
this no longer survives and the few functions now controlled are worked from
The box assumed its more humble role when the area became
controlled by colour light signalling, worked from Port Talbot power box, in
|There is little to see inside the
box - a large diagram monopolises this view. To the right are closed-circuit
television screens to allow a remote level crossing to also be controlled from
A short distance down the line from here is Pembrey, where the colour light signalling ends and true
signalling starts. .
Photographs by Roger Bailey
Comments about this article should be addressed
to Roger Bailey