THE SIGNAL BOX

LEVER FRAMES

BRITISH RAILWAY LEVER FRAMES

London, Midland & Scottish Railway lever frames

Railway Executive Committee lever frameRailway Executive Committee lever frame

The 1921 Railway Executive Committee proposed national adoption of a standard frame - an attempt to impose unwanted standards which most companies totally ignored.

The design was based around the Midland Railway's Tappet design, although the lever centres were reduced to 4" to allow frames to take up less space.

The only company to use this type was the London, Midland & Scottish, who used the type exclusively through into British Railways days.

Most were built by the LMS themselves, but a small number were constructed by the Railway Signal Company.

This example is at Barrow Hill Junction, more details of which can be found in the Photo Gallery. A similar frame is shown at Kettering Junction.

LMS New pattern Turnover frameLMS New pattern Turnover frame

The Midland Railway had used crude double-wire system lever frames at limited locations - mainly at marshalling yards where the wires could easily be covered so that shunting staff had no fear of tripping on signalling equipment.

The LMS developed the idea, basing their model on continental practice where this type was in general use.

Examples continued to be installed in yards, but small units of these levers were also occasionally fitted at the end of conventional lever frames. This was a workaround for the Ministry of Transport 350 yard limit for rod-operated points.

No frames of this type survive in use in the UK, but many similar types exist abroad.

This example is at Barrow Hill Up Sidings, more details of which can be found in the Photo Gallery.

Index to this section