THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
BARRY RAILWAY

Until 1895, boxes on the Barry Railway were built by Saxby & Farmer

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Barry

From 1895 onwards, boxes were built by Evans, O'Donnell & Co, to a special design which appears to owe a lot of its origins to the Great Eastern Railway's 1885 architecture.

Visit the box

Aberthaw

A different design of box was erected when the Vale of Glamorgan line opened in 1897, which bore much more similarity to the standard boxes of Evans, O'Donnell & Co.

Evans & O'Donnell were absorbed by Saxby & Farmer in 1903, who provided all subsequent boxes for the Barry Railway to the same design as Barry box above.

The Barry Railway became part of the Great Western in 1923.