THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of
BRITISH RAILWAYS (SCOTTISH REGION)

The Scottish Region was formed from the northern parts of both the London, Midland & Scottish and the London & North Eastern Railways, but chose to adopt the latter's modern flat-roofed design of 1933.

Far from the chaos of organisation that might have been expected when a Region of British Railways was formed of parts of two pre-nationalisation companies, the creation of the Scottish Region actually resulted in little change, signalling-wise. All of the pre-grouping constituent companies (apart from the Highland) preferred the simplicity of the Stevens lever frame, and the imposed use of the modern and efficient LMS frames was quietly dropped in favour of these.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Spean BridgePage includes views of lever frame

This 1949 box is a fine example of the London & North Eastern's 1933 design with wedge corners, a type perpetuated by the Scottish Region until 1954.

Visit the box

DunningPage includes views of lever frame

A similar box erected on former LMS metals in 1951.

Visit the box

Thornton YardPage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views if signalling instruments and equipmentPage includes close-up views of box diagram

It wasn't until 1955 that the Scottish Region produced its own design of box. Developed from the LNER design, it reverted to a rectangular layout and featured a bold concrete beam below the window line. This design continued through to 1961, after which the last mechanical boxes followed similar lines but embodied individual variations.

Visit the box

Stanley Junction

From 1961, less boxes were built and standard designs were no followed. This example was very modern and advanced in looks.

Visit the box

Dingwall NorthPage includes views of lever frame

A hastily erected shed was provided in 1963 to replace a rather larger box destroyed by fire.