THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
CALEDONIAN RAILWAY

The Caledonian Railway was probably the most advanced of the various Scottish railway companies as far as signalling was concerned, and some two-thirds of the system had interlocked signal boxes by 1875.

The Caledonian built boxed to their own designs, the architecture of which was completely separate between the Northern and Southern divisions. Most were sturdy brick structures, and many survive on the parts of the company's network that have resisted resignalling.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Kingsknowe

The earliest boxes on the Southern Division of the Caledonian Railway were quite varied. Many, but not all, featured a particularly shallow roof, sometimes surmounted by a large cast-iron finial. Glazing arrangements varied, too, but this example has a group of tiny panes above two tall ones per window section. These designs were only built up to the 1870's.

Visit the box

Hilton Junction

The oldest operational signal box in Scotland is to the Northern Division's first design, used up to around 1889. This type generally featured plain brickwork and unconcealed roof struts visible above the windows.

Visit the box

Craiginches North

This example, of the same original Northern division design, is very tall to allow a good view over an adjoining bridge.

Visit the box

ForteviotPage includes views of lever frame

Another plain box to the pre-c1889 design of the Caledonian Railway's Northern Division.

Visit the box

Broughty Ferry

A few boxes to the original Caledonian Railway design were built entirely in wood, as seen here.

Visit the box

Larbert NorthPage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views if signalling instruments and equipment

From 1889, the Northern Division's design was made neater by the provision of soffit boards to conceal the exposed eaves.

Visit the box

Stirling MiddlePage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views if signalling instruments and equipmentPage includes close-up views of box diagramPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

An extremely large version of the same design, opened in 1901. No boxes of this type were built between 1902 and 1908.

Visit the box

Grangemouth No3

A new design of box was introduced by the Northern Division in 1902, featuring decorative ridge tiles and and unusual "kink" in the angle of the roof near the gutter line. Use of this attractive design was discontinued in 1908 with a reversion to the use of the 1889 model described above.

Visit the box

ObanPage includes views of lever frame

Another box to the Southern Division's 1902 design.

Visit the box

TaynuiltPage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views of box diagramPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

A smaller version of the above design, almost certainly second-hand when installed in 1921.

Visit the box

Camperdown Junction

This one-off design was erected by the Northern Division in 1903.

Visit the box

Ferryhill Junction

Another non-standard Northern Division box constructed in 1905.

Visit the box

Garnqueen North JunctionPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Another design of the Southern Division, introduced by 1870, outlived the other types and was used right through to LMS days. Noticeable on this handsome design, once very common, are the deeply set windows in narrow sections. Each window pillar bears a large wooden bracket support for the heavily overhanging roof.

Visit the box

Glencruitton Crossing

Not every signal box conformed to the expected designs. This remote crossing loop opened in 1903, has the signal box combined with the signalmen's accommodation.