THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
COCKERMOUTH, KESWICK & PENRITH RAILWAY

All signalling on this small railway was provided by contractors, although later boxes were designed locally.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Troutbeck

The Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith was signalled throughout in 1874 by Saxby & Farmer, using boxes of their original, pre-1874 design.

Visit the box

Penruddock

Some boxes on the line were renewed in 1894 and also in 1900, in connection with doubling of parts of the line. These boxes were believed to have been designed by the company's engineer, but were fitted out by Tweedy & Co. Notice the half-gable arrangement applied on this example.

Visit the box

ThrelkeldPage includes views of lever frame

This box, also dating from 1894, was combined with the station buildings on the new island platform at this station. The lower portion is built in local slate but, strangely, the roof is tiled.

The Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway passed to the London, Midland & Scottish at the 1923 grouping.