THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
CHESHIRE LINES COMMITTEE

Although the Cheshire Lines Committee was jointly owned by the Great Central, the Great Northern and Midland Railways, it operated as an independent concern. Like all committees, it didn't follow the principles of others, and retained its independent manner long after the grouping in 1923

Until the CLC opened its own signal works at Warrington in 1881, boxes were built and equipped by contractors, but the company was quick to introduced its own designs.

The Cheshire Lines Committee remained an entity after the 1923 grouping by virtue of becoming a joint LMS and LNE operation. After 1936, signalling became the responsibility of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway and some boxes were built to their designs.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

MobberleyPage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views of lever badges

This design was introduced around 1873, continuing in production to 1903. Distinct features are the heavy-looking hipped roof and large "toplight" windows above the main glazing sections.

Visit the box

Knutsford EastPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

A few boxes were built between 1882 and 1886 to a modified form of Stevens & Sons' standard box. The main difference is the use of more conventional window glazing than Stevens themselves would have provided.

The CLC became part of British Railways in 1948.