THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes built by
DUTTON & CO.

S T Dutton was previously an employee of McKenzie & Holland, setting up his business in 1888, and derived much of his design work from his experience with that company.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Borth

The first design of box erected by Dutton & Co. bore great similarities to McKenzie & Holland's 1875 design. The only significant difference was the use of decorative wooden mouldings on the gables. This example is on the Cambrian Railway.

Visit the box

BlackwaterPage includes views of lever frame

Dutton supplied several boxes to the South Eastern in the early 1880s.

Visit the box

DouglasPage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views of box diagram

A particularly ornate variation of the first Dutton design was erected for the Isle of Man Railway in 1890.

Visit the box

Georgemas JunctionPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

From 1892, Dutton & Co. incorporated the porch area with the line of the main roof. This example is on the Highland Railway, whose boxes also varied slightly from the standard Dutton product.

Visit the box

Rogart North

Another box with the combined porch arrangement. All boxes built for the Highland Railway had vertical battened boarding in place of the usual horizontal slatting arrangement.

Visit the box

Rogart South

This box was virtually a matching twin with the above. The length of the passing loops on the Highland Railway generally necessitated the provision of two boxes.

Visit the box

Georgemas North

Very small Dutton boxes were little more than huts, and lacked a fully glazed window area. This one was on the Highland Railway.

Visit the box

AberystwythPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

From 1894, the window design was modified to reduce the number of separate panes of glass, resulting on a distinct "two small over two tall" arrangement. Many boxes of this type could be found on the Cambrian Railway network.

Visit the box

NewtownPage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views if signalling instruments and equipmentPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Another Cambrian Railway box to Dutton's 1894 design.

Visit the box

Llandaff Loop Junction

Although most work on the Taff Vale Railway was carried out by McKenzie & Holland, this box is believed to have been erected as part of a Dutton contract during 1900. The design conforms, however, with the McKenzie & Holland boxes on this company's lines.

Dutton & Co. sold out to J F Pease & Co in 1899, who became part of the McKenzie & Holland empire in 1901.