THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great Eastern Railway

ATTLEBOROUGH

Opened: 1886

Closed: — no —

Location code: E29/07


Attleborough signal boxIn 1883, the Great Eastern Railway replaced the ornate timber design shown at Mistley with a rather more conventional brick-built style. Cast aside were the fancy timberwork, the stylish windows and the ornate gables.

As with earlier cabins, contractors were allowed to stamp their individuality, and those built by McKenzie & Holland had the bargeboard decoration as shown here.

Box design reverted to more ornate styles again in 1886, as seen at March West Junction.


Inside Attleborough signal boxThe original McKenzie & Holland lever frame of 20 levers was extended in 1897 and 1899 to reach a total of 24, but this was not enough for further expansion that took place. In December 1913 a replacement 30-lever frame was provided, which was also of McKenzie & Holland's design. Although provided with tappet locking, it is probably a Leyton works rebuild as the basic frame design echoes the 1873 type.

Attleborough box and station survive in use on the Ely to Norwich line, although by 1990 the layout had been reduced to just a crossover road.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

 

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated