THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

East Norfolk Railway

AYLSHAM

Opened: 1880

Closed: 1973

Location code: E31/07


General view looking away from Aylsham station past the box
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour

The East Norfolk Railway's branch from Wroxham reached Aylsham in 1880.

This view, looking away from the station towards Wroxham, shows the Up Starter protecting the single line, with the outlet from the goods yard on the left.


Aylsham signal box
Photograph by Dr. J W F Scrimgeour,

Although the East Norfolk Railway became part of the Great Eastern in 1881, the signalling on this piece of railway was pure McKenzie & Holland, including the timber-built signal box. It compares well with the brick and timber box at Baschurch, although it lacks the typical McKenzie & Holland porch.

Aylsham was provided with a 20-lever McKenzie & Holland Cam & Soldier-locking frame, although the locking was later replaced by the tappet type.

The box closed on 20th December 1973, two years after these photographs were taken.


All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated