THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Colne Valley & Halstead Railway

EARLS COLNE

Opened: 1882

Closed: c1964

Location code: E39/29

Earls Colne signal box
Photograph from the collection of Dr. J W F Scrimgeour,

The Colne Valley & Halstead Railway somehow managed to survive as an independent concern in the heart of Great Eastern territory through to the Grouping in 1923.

This was the first box built on the line, by McKenzie & Holland to their standard design illustrated also at Baschurch. At that time the station was called Ford Gate - the new name was adopted in 1889.

The remainder of the stations on the line were not signalled until 1889 onwards, and these cabins were of all-brick construction to the company's own design. At present there are no pictures available of the later boxes.

Earls Colne box had 26 levers. Passenger services were withdrawn on 30th December 1961, but freight services continued until 1964.

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated