THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

British Railways (Eastern Region)

OXMARSH CROSSING

Opened: c1959

Closed: ——

Location code: E48/18

Oxmarsh Crossing signal boxOxmarsh Crossing is to be found on the Barton-on-Humber branch of the former Great Central in Lincolnshire.

The Eastern Region of British Railways standardised on this design for boxes built between 1955 and 1959. This example is one of the later ones, having been brought into use around 1959 to replace the original cabin which had been destroyed in a fire.

In its heyday the box controlled a double junction leading into a goods yard and coal sidings from the 29 lever Railway Signal Co. frame, which dates from 1885 and was transferred from the old cabin.

These days little of the layout remains, and singling of the line from here towards Barton is demonstrated by the One Train Working staff collection/delivery platform at the far end of the box.

Several boxes to this design survive in use today; a similar one can be seen at Sleaford South. Similar boxes were built on the North Eastern Region too, as illustrated at Balne.


Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated