THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great Northern Railway

ST JAMES DEEPING

Opened: 1876

Closed: ——

Location code: E8/17

St James Deeping signal boxSt James Deeping box is actually situated in an area called Deeping St James. It is not known whether the box (and station - until 1961) was always named incorrectly or whether the locality has changed names over the years.

The box opened in 1876, when block signalling was introduced between Peterborough and Spalding.

The design represents yet another variation in Great Northern signal box design. Whilst having a lot in common with the boxes of the same era not many miles away (see Aslockton), these 1875 to 1878 examples retained the large roof overhang. Another unusual feature was the provision of sash windows for the locking room.

St James Deeping survives to this day, acting as fringe box to Peterborough panel and controlling just a crossover road and a minor level crossing. The layout is controlled from a 32-lever McKenzie & Holland tappet locking frame.


Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated