THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great Northern Railway

WAINFLEET

Opened: 1899

Closed: ——

Location code: E11/08

Wainfleet signal boxResignalling of the Skegness branch necessitated the erection of several new cabins in 1899. Wainfleet, originally Wainfleet East, was one of these, and a box of reasonable proportions was provided to control the station, sidings and level crossing at this location.

The East Lincolnshire lines were still escaping the principles of standardisation being deployed by the Great Northern (see Sykes Junction and Tempsford), continuing to build brick structures in line with the early 1870's principles.

Some very similar boxes to these had been constructed on the Nottinghamshire lines in between 1888 and 1890, and it is curious that these should emulate the design almost ten years later. Distinct features of these boxes are the much plainer bargeboards - the features are provided as relief rather than physically cut out - and sash locking-room windows with curved tops, placed in an unpanelled brick base.

Wainfleet box is still in use, and contains a Railway Signal Company frame of 25 levers to control what remains of the layout.


Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated