THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

East Norfolk Railway

WROXHAM

Opened: 1874

Closed: 1900

Location code: E30/27

The East Norfolk Railway box from WroxhamThe East Norfolk Railway built a new line from Whitlingham Junction (near Norwich) to North Walsham in 1874. The line was single, and the only crossing place was at Wroxham. This is the signal box erected in 1874 to control that crossing place.

In 1879, a branch was opened from Wroxham, initially to Buxton Lamas, but later through to Aylsham and eventually through to join with the Great Eastern Railway at County School. To work this junction, the lever frame was extended to 20 levers.

The box was located on the Up platform of the station, and when it was replaced by a new box in 1900 it was retained as a porter's room.

During the 1930's, the structure was purchased by a local railwayman and moved to his garden to act as a garage. And in that garden it remains, no longer used as a garage (you can see where the doors were) but now as a gardening shed and workshop. More details and history of this, the only surviving East Norfolk Railway signal box, can be found in the The Old Engine House web pages.

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated