THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
FURNESS RAILWAY

The Furness Railway first introduced block working in the early 1860s, and ten years later properly interlocked signalling necessitated the erection of many signal boxes. The earliest of these were typical small cabins of the era and several of these survive. However, the Furness soon developed their their own very distinct architecture. Signalling equipment was provided by a wide range of contractors.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Bootle

Several small (by later standards) boxes were erected between 1871 and 1874. These featured bases built from local stone, small "toplights" above the main glazed area and a flush-fitting roof, giving an appearance similar to Saxby & Farmer's 1874 product.

Visit the box

Ravenglass

A unusual taller example was built here to give a better view of the signalman's layout.

Visit the box

Askam

This type of box was built between 1875 and 1895, and featured an unglazed section in centre of the front wall. Originally, the timber parts were panelled only on the inside, exposing the framework.

Visit the box

Green RoadPage includes views of lever frame

Another box of the same era shows how the exposed timbers were commonly covered in to reduce the draughts in the box.

Visit the box

St Bees

A completely different design of box built during the 1875 to 1895 era featured an unusual tapering stone base, giving a continental look.

Visit the box

Dalton JunctionPage includes views of lever frame

After 1896, boxes were built to a new design, generally built in brick and including a brick staircase. A large number of these boxes were built.

Visit the box

Carnforth Station JunctionPage includes views of lever frame

Many of the post-1896 boxes were provided at locations where the layout had been enlarged, so most of the bigger boxes were of this type.

Visit the box

FoxfieldPage includes views of lever frame

This box appears to be an all-wood equivalent of the 1896 brick design, although the claimed opening date of 1879 throws this into doubt.

Visit the box

MillomPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Another timber-built box to the 1896 design was erected here around 1917.

Visit the box

Vickers Gun Range SidingPage includes views of lever frame

This small box was erected to serve a siding built during World War I. The box does not appear to conform with any other designs used by the Furness Railway but may have been second-hand or reconstructed from salvaged parts of a previous box.