THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
GREAT CENTRAL RAILWAY

Formed simply by the renaming of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway in 1897, the Great Central obviously inherited the signalling practices of that company. Box design changed little in the GC's lifetime, but in other respects great advances were made. Around 1905, a new mechanical frame was designed, which was used universally in future work, whilst power signalling made its debut in the same year.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Orgreaves CollieryPage includes views of lever frame

The MS&L introduced a modified version of their 1887 design in 1896, but the majority of these were erected in the time of the Great Central. The significant change was a shallower roof, but closer examination showed that only the corner windows were openable. This example has had the central windows panelled out in later years.

Visit the box

Blind LanePage includes views of lever frame

Although most boxes of this type had brick bases, some were constructed entirely in lapped timber, as shown here. This type continued to be built through to 1905.

Visit the box

Oughty BridgePage includes views of lever frame

This box seems to be an interim mix of designs. It features the bargeboards of the 1896 architecture, but the weatherboarding of the already-introduced c1898 type described below.

Visit the box

Firbeck Junction "B"Page includes views of lever frame

A further design change was introduced around 1898, although new boxes were built to both this and the previous architecture for several years. Rather more were built in timber, reverting to weatherboarding, and featured larger windows in the locking room.

Visit the box

Hyde JunctionPage includes views of lever framePage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Less than half of those built of this type were constructed with brick bases. A notable feature of this design is the omission of the central circular adornment in each bargeboard.

Visit the box

Reception Sidings (immingham)Page includes views of lever frame

Another example of this type, originally constructed entirely in timber but, as it controlled signalling in a strategically important area, the walls were bricked in as bomb blast protection during the second world war.

Visit the box

Worksop SidingsPage includes views of lever frame

This box, constructed to the MS&L's 1887 design, was probably second hand when installed in 1906.

The Great Central became part of the London & North Eastern Railway in 1923, although boxes continued to be built to GC designs through to 1930.