THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
GREAT NORTH OF SCOTLAND RAILWAY

As a small railway company in a corner of Scotland, the Great North of Scotland couldn't really see the need for signalling, and only basic facilities featured until the 1889 Regulation of Railways Act forced their arm. It took until 1899 to provide interlocked signal boxes and block working throughout their system.

The earliest boxes were sturdy cabins of with brick or stone bases, but economy soon brought about a change to a small and neat timber design. Later, the GNS seems to have taken on board its responsibilities, introducing larger signal boxes of an ornate design. Contractors' designs were rare.

Lever frames and other signalling equipment was supplied by Stevens & Sons, and after the demise of that company the same design of frame was sourced from other contractors.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Dyce

The Great North of Scotland had introduced this hipped roof design by 1880, featuring three-pane-high windows in a wooden top section, fitted to a base built in local granite or brick.

Visit the box

HuntlyPage includes views of lever frame

A change was made to gabled roofs in 1884, resulting in a neat but plain design. The majority of boxes of this type were of all-timber construction.

Visit the box

Elgin Centre

Another box of the same type, identical in nearly every respect except, of course, the length.

Visit the box

Kennethmont

Two cabins were erected in 1888 by the Railway Signal Company. These were identical to their standard product of the era, except for the provision of a hipped roof.

Visit the box

InveruruiePage includes views of lever frame

Another altogether more ornate design was introduced in 1896, featuring (again) a hipped roof with (in many examples) decorative ridge tiles and finials. A completely different glazing arrangement was provided, with "one-above-two" panes and deeply inset opening portions. Decorative panelling was also provided below window level.

The Great North of Scotland became part of the London & North Eastern Railway in 1923.