THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes built by the
GLOUCESTER WAGON COMPANY

The Gloucester Wagon Company diversified into signalling work in 1876.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Savernake High Level

The Gloucester Wagon Company's standard design of box was a neat arrangement, generally built in timber. The gabled roof featured distinct ornately carved gable boards. This box was erected in 1898 on the Midland & South Western Junction Railway, and was possibly second-hand from another location. The alternative theory is that it may have been erected new by the Railway Signal Company.

The Gloucester Wagon Company ceased signalling work in 1884.