THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
LONDON, CHATHAM & DOVER RAILWAY

The London, Chatham & Dover Railway completed full signalling and interlocking as early as 1879, and block working was speedily established. Sykes Lock & Block was pioneered on this railway, and by 1880 the LC&D was probably the most advanced railway in the country as far as signalling was concerned.

The majority of boxes were built by signalling contractors to their own designs, but some were fitted with the company's own design of lever frame. The LC&D created its own design of box in 1879, although contractors' designs also continued to be built.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Loughborough Junction

A completely non-standard all-brick structure that probably dates from the earliest days of signalling on this company's lines.

Visit the box

Bat & Ball

During the 1870's, a few boxes were built to the London, Chatham & Dover company's own design. These had brick bases and neat gabled roofs fitted to the timber upper portion.

Visit the box

Shepherds WellPage includes views of lever framePage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Another late 1870's box erected by the company themselves.

Visit the box

Farningham RoadPage includes views of lever frame

Standard 1876 architecture from Saxby & Farmer appeared around the company's lines in quantity.

Visit the box

Buckland Crossing

A small hut dating, probably, from the 1880's or earlier.

Visit the box

Bearsted

One batch of boxes were built by Saxby & Farmer to their short-lived design only otherwise found on the Hull & Barnsley.

The London, Chatham & Dover concern became part of the South Eastern & Chatham Joint Committee in 1899.