THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Furness Railway

ASKAM

Opened: 1890

Closed: ——

Location code: LM108/32

Askam signal boxAskam signalbox represents the second style of Furness railway signalbox, replacing the type seen at Ravenglass from 1875. This design remained in use through to 1895, although another type of box was also constructed during this period - see St. Bees. As first built, any timber framing on these boxes was boarded only on the inside (as seen here in the centre panel) although many were boarded externally in later years. This feature can be seen at Green Road.

Askam can be found just north of Barrow-in-Furness, controlling a wayside station (with a goods yard at one time) and level crossing. The surviving layout is controlled from a 22-lever Railway Signal Company frame (which dates back to the opening of the box on 30th October 1890) of a similar Foxfield.


Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

Additional notes by David Ingham

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated