THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London, Midland & Scottish Railway

BARROW HILL JUNCTION

Opened: 1928

Closed: 1981

Location code: LM59/10


Barrow Hill Junction boxMuch of the signalling on the North Midland line as it skirted Sheffield was renewed in early LMS days, although plans may have been hatched by the Midland before the grouping. The box itself (which was originally named Staveley Junction) is certainly of Midland design, being to their fourth style introduced in 1906 with plainer window panes still (see West Hampstead for the previous style) resulting in a pleasing and tidy design. The nearby Barrow Hill Up Sidings was similar in design. As with the previous type, many smaller boxes had divided panes - see Purfleet. The LMS eventually, of course, developed its own box design, an example of which can be seen at Kettering Junction.

A whole chunk of the former Midland line north of Chesterfield passed to the Eastern Region after nationalisation, and this is reflected in their colours of grey and black having been applied to the box.

Barrow Hill Junction controlled and important junction leading to various coalfields; Seymour Junction was just a few boxes away.


Inside Barrow Hill JunctionThe box contained a 100 lever frame of a type developed from the Midland Railway's tappet frame by the LMS. These were known as REC (Railway Executive Committee) frames, as it was they that decreed that these were to be adopted as standard by all of the "big four" railway companies after the grouping. An advanced and efficient frame it might have been, but the remaining three companies ignored the directive.

The only significant difference between these and the Midland's frames (see Napsbury) was the spacing of the levers being reduced from 6" to 4", which would save a signalman on a frame the size of this a lot of walking!

At the near end of the shelf, an Eastern Region track diagram is seen, whilst to the right there is a nice collection of Midland block instruments.

The area was resignalled in 1981.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated