THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway

HORROCKSFORD JUNCTION

Opened: 1873

Closed: ——

Location code: LM99/29

Horrocksford Junction signal boxIn early years the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway purchased all their signalling equipment and boxes from contractors, and Horrocksford Junction is a fine surviving example of a Saxby & Farmer design also found on the London & North Western and Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railways which was used between 1869 and 1874. These were very similar to all wood examples dating from as far back as 1863. Other contactors' designs from this era are illustrated at Milner Royd Junction and Whitley Bridge. From 1879 onwards, Gloucester Wagon Company boxes were built (like at Savernake on the MSWJ) which developed in to the L&Y's own standard design.

In early days, the L&Y had minimal provision of signalling - Horrocksford Junction's present lever frame, dating from 1928, has only 8 levers - in contrast to later complex installations like Clayton West Junction.

Horrocksford Junction can be found near Clitheroe on the Blackburn - Hellifield line. The sole reason for its survival as the only intermediate box along this line is that its junction survives to serve the Ribblesdale Cement Works. For the time being this box, over 125 years old, has a future.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

 


All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated