Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway


Opened: c1875

Closed: 1967

Location code: LM129/21

Rowrah - in the middle of nowhere!Whilst the last surviving box of the Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway is looking exceedingly sorry for itself, it is worthy of inclusion in this section because it is one of very few boxes to have survived into recent years that was built to the contractor Stevens & Sons' own design. The most distinct feature of their design is vertical timbering in the gable ends, and this can be clearly seen in the photograph below as some has broken away.

Rowrah No.1 signal boxThe WCE was taken over by the London & North Western Railway in 1877, becoming jointly owned with the Furness Railway the following year. All subsequent boxes were built to LNW designs although various frame types were fitted. The Furness Railway took responsibility for the "telegraphs", so the block instruments were of the Tyer's one-wire, three-position type in accordance with that company's practice.

Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated