THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Furness Railway

ST BEES

Opened: 1891

Closed: ——

Location code: LM109/12

St Bees signal boxDuring the 1875 to 1895 period, the Furness Railway built boxes to two designs. Alongside the conventional style seen at Askam, quite a few were constructed to this adventurous design. The most noticeable feature is the tapering stone base, not found in any other British signal box design.

St Bees opened on the 21st february 1891, and controlled one of a few crossing loops on the single-line section between Sellafield and Whitehaven.

Containing just 24 levers, the Railway Signal Company frame (of the same type as illustrated at Carnforth Station Junction) controls the limited facilities here.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated