THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway

WHITLEY BRIDGE

Opened: 1875

Closed: 1988

Location code: LM94/20

Whitley Bridge signal box
Photograph by John Hinson

Until 1988, a rare example of Smith & Yardley's first design of box (1872-1878) could be found at Whitley Bridge, near Knottingly, guarding a level crossing. In fact, since 1968 that had been its only function, for it had ceased to be a proper signal box and its 36-lever frame (the third to have been fitted in the lifetime of the box) removed.

A distinctive feature of this design was the provision of small "lights" above the main windows similar to those found in early Saxby & Farmer boxes, but these were discarded when the design was replaced by the type found at Milner Royd Junction.

Whitley Bridge ceased to function as a signal box in 1968, being demoted to gate-keeper status. It closed fully on the 28th February 1988, with the crossing being controlled through closed-circuit television cameras from Sudforth Lane box.

Additional notes by David Ingham

About the photographs


Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here