THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
LONDON, MIDLAND & SCOTTISH RAILWAY

The London, Midland & Scottish continued to use designs of its three major constituents for some years before producing its own design. Some of these appeared in the wrong "territory". The LMS's own signal box design, when it finally appeared, was a diplomatic mix of the pleasant architecture of the Midland with the economy of the London & North Western designs.

The LMS was not quick to accept the domestic architectural advances of the 1930's, and the use of concrete and metal-framed windows was only adopted when the second world war demanded bomb blast-resistant signal boxes. This design was to evolve, tough, into a modern peacetime design ultimately adopted by the London Midland Region of British Railways.

The LMS was the only company to adopt the Railway Executive Committee's 1921 approved design of lever frame - not an entirely surprising decision as it was a direct development of the Midland Railway's design. Block instruments, however, generally followed the individual pre-grouping railways' practice.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Purfleet

Boxes continued to be built to the Midland Railway's 1917 design through to 1928.

Visit the box

Barrow Hill JunctionPage includes views of lever frame

The last Midland pattern boxes, built during 1928 and 1929, reverted to the larger window panes of the Midland's 1908 style, but differed from these through the omission of finials.

Visit the box

Barrow Hill Up SidingsPage includes views of lever frame

A sidings box of similar design also followed pre-grouping practice by being fitted with a double-wire operation lever frame.

Visit the box

Lloyds Sidings NorthPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Many early LMS boxes were built to London & North Western Railway design, too.

Visit the box

Madeley

One of the first LMS standard boxes, this demonstrates the combination of panelled brick base and gabled roof pf the LNW with the large and elegant glazing of the Midland Railway.

Visit the box

Forders Sidings

An all-timber example of the same design.

Visit the box

Keswick No1

Variations from the 1930 standard included smaller-paned windows and a stone base on this example.

Visit the box

Kettering JunctionPage includes views of lever frame

The design was updated in 1933 to omit the Midland-style corner fillets in the windows.

Visit the box

Longforgan

Meanwhile, the Scottish Division adopted their own design in 1929, featuring an attractive hipped roof and a bay window.

Visit the box

BlackfordPage includes views of lever frame

A similar box, provided with a LMS-pattern frame.

Coupar Angus SouthPage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

A simplified design, based on the 1929 Scottish model, was introduced in 1939.

Visit the box

Barrhill

A second-hand example of the Glasgow & South Western 1901 design was erected in 1935 to replace one that had been burnt down.

Greetland No2Page includes views of lever frame

An example of the ARP design as used south of the Scottish border., a design used from 1939 through to 1950.

Visit the box

CaverswallPage includes views of lever frame

A conventional LMS box opened during the second world war, without locking-room windows.

Visit the box

Thornhill

The Scottish Division introduced their ARP design in 1940, with strengthened walls and roof to withstand enemy damage.

Visit the box

Aberdeen South

By 1947, the design of ARP boxes in the Scottish Division had developed into even sturdier structures.

Visit the box

Elmton & Creswell JunctionPage includes views of lever frame

A LMS box built during the post-war period.

The LMS was split between the London Midland and Scottish Regions of British Railways in 1948.