THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
MARYPORT & CARLISLE RAILWAY

This small company was dependent on signalling contractors for signalling work, but signal boxes appear to be to their own specification.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Aspatria

Stevens & Sons carried out most of the work for the Maryport & Carlisle, but all known boxes from before 1900 conformed to this design. Although built in brick up to window level (and to the roof at the rear) it compares interestingly with 1870's London & South Western practice.

A completely different style of box was erected at Currock Junction (Carlisle No8) in 1918. If anybody can provide a photograph of this box it would be gratefully received.

The Maryport & Carlisle became part of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923.