THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
MANCHESTER SOUTH JUNCTION & ALTRINCHAM RAILWAY

The MSJ&A was jointly owned by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire (later the Great Central) and London & North Western Railways, but initially all signalling was carried out by contractors.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Navigation Road

Until 1882, Saxby & Farmer signal boxes of the 1876 design were used. As far as is known, all were provided with the optional extra row of lower windows, which have been painted over on this example. Later boxes were built by the Railway Signal Company to their own design.

All new boxes after 1904 were built by the London & North Western Railway.

Being a joint concern, the MSJ&A name survived the grouping to become part of the London Midland Region of British Railways in 1948.