THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
MIDLAND & SOUTH WESTERN JUNCTION RAILWAY

The Midland & South Western Junction, although nominally independent, had close links with both the Midland and London & South Western Railways. The company was formed in 1884 by the amalgamation of the Swindon, Marlborough and Andover and the Swindon Extension Railways.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Savernake High Level

This box was erected second-hand in 1898, and appears to be a standard box of the Railway Signal Company, (although it may be a second-hand Gloucester Wagon Company box originally supplied to the Swindon, Marlborough & Andover concern.

Some Dutton & Co. boxes were supplied to the MSW in 1891, and home-built examples were erected between 1900 and 1905. Other boxes during the same period were provided by the London & South Western Railway to their 1894 design. Photographs of any MSW boxes that could be used on this page would be very appreciated.

The MSW became part of the Great Western Railway in 1923.

Additional notes by Chris Randall