THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY

Most work for the North British was carried out by contractors, but most cabins were to the company's own design.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Cambus JunctionPage includes views of lever frame

This distinctive all-brick design was in use between 1873 and 1903, although other types were also constructed during the same period. Glazing consists of frequent small window sections with sliding sashes.

Visit the box

Arrochar & TarbetPage includes views of lever frame

Saxby & Farmer signalled the West Highland line in 1894. The majority of boxes were platform mounted and were designed to blend in with the station architecture in the style shown here.

Visit the box

Cardrona

This overgrown location only just demonstrates that a few standard Railway Signal Company boxes were built for the North British. This one dates from 1895.

Visit the box

Banavie Canal Bridge

The West Highland Extension of 1901 was also signalled by the Railway Signal Company. The boxes built were basically their standard boxes although provided with a hipped roof with large overhang.

Visit the box

Clydebank Dock Junction

A complete change of design was introduced in 1907, embodying plate glass main window sections surmounted by smaller panes. Bases were generally of brick.

Visit the box

High Street East Junction

This box was once of the same design, but has been heavily butchered by a massive extension having been made when a new lever frame was provided. A gabled roof has been provided, too.

The North British became part of the London & North Eastern Railway in 1923.