THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London & North Eastern Railway

BARTON HILL

Opened: 1936

Closed: ——

Location code: NE12/02

Barton Hill signal box
Photograph by John Hinson

Quite a pocket of mechanical signalling survives on the York to Scarborough line, and the box at Barton Hill is a fine example of the London & North Eastern Railway's "modern-look" design.

The signalling of the LNER was divided into three separate areas - Southern (the area later to become the Eastern Region of British Railways), North Eastern (North Eastern Region) and Scottish (to Combine with the LMS interests to become the Scottish Region). Whilst many of the box designs were similar, each division had its own practices and principles.

Until 1933, the North Eastern Area continued to build boxes to pre-grouping designs, but a striking new design was produced and used for new boxes built through to 1944. There were many variations between these, but Barton Hill demonstrates brick construction and flat roof.

This box opened in 1936, and is believed to have been provided (at cost to the request of the local council) in connection with road improvements.

Barrier mechanism at Barton Hill
Photograph by John Hinson

The lifting barriers protecting the crossing are worthy of a close study. At a casual glance they might appear to be conventional power-operated lifting barriers but the rodding connections seen here give a clue to the fact they are mechanically worked. Never one to follow conventions (see the boom gates at Winning) the North Eastern Region has chosen to work these lifting barriers from a conventional gate wheel!

The box survives, with its sixteen-lever McKenzie & Holland frame still in use.

Fog Marking indicator at Barton Hill Fog Marking indicator at Barton Hill - rear view
Photographs by John H Lillford, 2003

Although the box is relatively modern, an ancient piece of equipment survives here. This is a North Eastern Railway Fog marking Point indicator - basically an old-fashioned revolving disc that doesn't revolve. The lamp is mounted in the centre of the disc, which bears a rather faded white cross.

An enlarge view of this signal, and an explanation of its function, can be found on the page covering NER signals.

Additional notes by Mike Elliot and Jason Lupton

About the photographs

Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here