THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes of the
NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE RAILWAY

The North Staffordshire interlocked most of its stations and signal boxes in the late 1860s and early 1870s, introducing block working in the early 1870s too. Whilst few of the pre-1870 boxes survived into later years, many of the early lever frames were re-used, and North Staffordshire signalling always had an antiquated and individual air.

Almost all signalling work (including the construction of signalboxes) was carried out for the company by McKenzie & Holland, although from 1875 the boxes were built to designs specified by the North Staffordshire Railway.

Today, resignalling has swallowed up most of the company's remaining lines, although some can still be found between Derby and Stoke.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

Leek Brook JunctionPage includes views of lever framePage includes views of signals and other outdoor equipment

Until 1875, McKenzie & Holland were building boxes of their standard pattern for the North Staffordshire, mostly with brick bases as shown here.

Visit the box

Pratts Sidings

Some early boxes were to this compact brick-built design. It is not known for certain which contractor carried out the work.

Visit the box

StallingtonPage includes views of lever frame

From 1875, a new design of box was introduced - effectively a mixture of a Great Northern top and a McKenzie & Holland base.

Visit the box

Mow CopPage includes views of lever frame

This cabin is a small example of the North Staffordshire's own standard design introduced around 1885. All boxes were built with brick bases, with the rectangular locking-room windows flush with the top of this portion. The timber upper storey resembled earlier McKenzie & Holland styles, but the gables featured a teardrop tip to the bargeboards. This design continued to be used for the remainder of the North Staffordshire's lifetime.

The North Staffordshire became part of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923.