THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

GNR Somersault signal

Signal boxes built by the
RAILWAY SIGNAL COMPANY

George Edwards left the Gloucester Wagon Company in 1881 and set up his own business. The style of architecture used by that company was deeply reflected in Railway Signal Company designs.

Please click on the thumbnail images for more information on each location.

Visit the box

HoylakePage includes views of lever frame

Built for the Seacombe, Hoylake & Deeside Railway, this is a fine example of the Railway Signal Company's standard product.

Visit the box

Purfleet Rifle Range

Standard boxes were provided for the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway from the late 1880's onwards. Some particularly large examples were built, for this company was very lavish with its signalling arrangements.

Visit the box

OckendonPage includes views of lever framePage includes close-up views if signalling instruments and equipment

Another similar box for the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway, although the ornate bargeboards would appear to have been renewed at some time.

Visit the box

CaergwrlePage includes views of lever frame

A platform level cabin was built for the Wrexham, Mold & Connah's Quay Railway, one of a number erected in 1885 on the Wrexham to Buckley section.

Visit the box

Cardrona

This rather overgrown example is also built at platform level, and was one of a few erected for the North British Railway.

Visit the box

Banavie Canal Bridge

When the West Highland Extension of the North British Railway was constructed, the Railway Signal Company built boxes with large overhanging hipped roofs. In other respects, the boxes were to the standard design.

Visit the box

Kennethmont

A pair of standard boxes, apart from the provision of a (neater than above) hipped roof, were provided for the Great North of Scotland Railway in 1888.

Visit the box

Seaforth Sands Junction

The Liverpool Overhead Railway also deployed hipped-roof versions of the Railway Signal Company's designs.

Although the Railway Signal Company continued to trade through to 1974, no signal boxes were erected to their own designs after 1923.