THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London & South Western Railway

BENTLEY

Opened: 1905

Closed: 1976

Location code: S60/07

Bentely signal box
Photograph by John Hinson, 1977

Bentley station is to be found on the Alton line, but there is no signal box there now.

The box opened in 1905 when the Bordon branch opened, and contained a 30-lever Stevens & Sons frame. The box is built to the L&SW's 1894 design, but these were usually built in brick - see St Denys for an example.

It is interesting to see how the brake dust released from passing electric units has highlighted the outline of the internal framing of the box.

Bentley box closed when automatic signalling was introduced on the line on 19th December 1976.

About the

Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here