THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London, Brighton & South Coast Railway

COOKSBRIDGE

Opened: c1875

Closed: 1985

Location code: S21/30

Cooksbridge signal boxThis design of box is believed to be the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway's first architectural style, introduced in 1872. Whilst clearly embodying many features of the Saxby & Farmer 1868 boxes such as that illustrated at Mitcham, there are many aspects that differ.

The toplight windows, a speciality of Saxby & Farmer boxes, are absent and the classic support brackets in the S&F designs are also absent. The cladding is of vertical timbers, joined and secured by battens. This rugged-looking design appeared at various locations around the LB&SC through to 1878, and were probably erected by the company themselves although fitted out with Saxby & Farmer lever frames. From 1879, LB&SC boxes were built to the more ornate design shown at Bedhampton Crossing.That company continued to supply a good proportion of the LB&SC's requirements with their standard designs throughout this era.

Cooksbridge, located on the secondary Keymer Junction to Lewes route, led a charmed 110 years' existence controlling a small station and level crossing from a Saxby & Farmer Rocker frame. This frame had started life with 14 levers, but was increased over time to total 21 to accommodate new features and more up-to-date practices.

The box was abolished on 13th February 1985.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated