THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London & South Western Railway

DEAN

Opened: c1875

Closed: 1980

Location code: S58/14

Dean signal box
Photograph by John Hinson, 1978

Dean was a typical compact London & South Western Railway box of their 1871 design; it was opened around 1875 and compares well with Pinhoe. It was to be found on the Romsey to Salisbury line.

Interior of Dean box
Photograph by John Hinson, 1978
Lever badges
Photograph by John Hinson, 1978

The inside of the box, as so often the case on the Southern Region, was smart and well polished. The frame is of Stevens & Sons design and totalled 17 levers. Notice the array of polished brass plungers and repeaters on the instrument shelf, and the Southern Railway block instrument.

On the right is an enlargement of this view showing the lever badges, some of which were the original cast brass plates made by Stevens & Sons when the box opened.

Additional 'levers'
Photograph by John Hinson, 1978

In 1972, new sidings were provided at East Grimstead, between Dean and Salisbury. These required two ground frame releases and additional protecting signals. Rather than extend or replace the existing lever frame, three special slides were provided. Notice how conventions have been followed by painting the apparatus red/yellow for the intermediate signal (and its distant) and blue/brown for the ground frame releases. The three slides were numbered onwards from the end of the frame, and provided with standard lever badges.

Dean box closed on 9th September 1980.

About the

Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here