THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Southern Railway

HASTINGS

Opened: 1930

Closed: ——

Location code: S36/17

Hastings signal boxUntil 1930, three boxes existed at Hastings - Hastings West, East and Goods Yard - but the Southern Railway economised by opening a new box to control the entire area with the remoter parts power-worked from the 84-lever Westinghouse frame, similar to that illustrated at Lenham.

The box is to the Southern Railway's first universal design. After the grouping in 1923, the SR had adapted the earlier company's styles, but this type was introduced in 1929 to supersede them. An interesting feature is the "small over large" arrangement of window panes, reminiscent of Evans O'Donnell's designs (see North Kent West Junction) whilst the basic style of box compares with the London, Brighton & South Coast's later styles, as at Bosham.

An interesting feature of Hastings is that all arriving trains are "Down" trains as the line nomenclature allows for the Down direction (from London) being via Tunbridge Wells or Ashford.

This box has led a busy but uneventful life, and a large number of the levers are still in use working the four-platform station and surrounding sidings.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated