THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Southern Railway

LITTLEHAVEN

Opened: 1938

Closed: ——

Location code: S27/10a

Littlehaven signal box
Photograph by John Hinson, 1978

Littlehaven Halt, on the outskirts of Horsham, had very limited facilities until 1938, and as far a signalling was concerned all that existed was a six-lever ground frame protecting the level crossing in Rusper Road. However, the Southern Railway had their sights set on new commuter traffic during the 1930s, supported by their efficient new electric services. The new frequent services demanded shorter block sections, too, so a new combined signal box and booking office was erected here in 1938. Combined functions like this were favoured by the Southern Railway (see also Betchworth and Martin Mill) although elsewhere in the country the idea was only rarely taken up.

The "box" was provided with a Stevens & Sons Dwarf frame (manufactured by Westinghouse as Stevens had long since ceased trading) of just 9 levers. A gate wheel was provided so that the crossing could be worked without leaving the office.

Littlehaven box led an uneventful life until Three Bridges power box was commissioned, resulting in the box being reduced to ground frame status on 19th April 1986.

About the photographs

Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here