THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London& South Western Railway

MALDEN CROSSING

Opened: 1869

Closed: c1986

Location code: S66/17

Malden Crossing signal boxIn 1869 the London & South Western opened a link between the main line from Waterloo at Malden and Kingston (which had been served from Twickenham since 1863) to complete what became known as the Kingston Loop. Full signalling was provided on this line from the outset, but interestingly the contract was let to Saxby & Farmer; the London & South Western normally favoured the use of Stevens & Sons equipment.

All of the boxes on this section of line were built to Saxby & Farmer's second design, introduced in 1868 and a derivative from the type illustrated at Billingshurst, The only significant change was the insertion of a row of small "toplight" windows above the main glazed area. The provision of a lomger-lasting briock base (as here) became far more commonplace, too.

Malden Crossing was located very near to the junction with the main line, in fact tucked almost underneath it where the Down Line passed under the main line and the two routes merged. The arrangement of a flying junction was not original - until 1907 both lines passed beneath the main line to connect on the East side. The box controlled a level crossing and a small goods yard.

Little information is available about the early signalling arrangements at this box, but the Saxby & Farmer frame, being somewhat alien to the L&SW by not having conventional tappet locking, was probably replaced at an early date.


The later frame comprised just eight levers and the signalling arrangements were very basic indeed:

Lever Function
1 Up Distant
2 Up Home
3 Release to Ground Frame for Sidings
4 Down Starter
5 Down Home
6 Gate Lock
7 Gate Stops
8 Wicket Gates

The yard was removed in 1965, and on 10th November 1974, the box ceased to operate as a block post, becoming an intermediate crossing-keepers cabin. The crossing gates had been replaced by lifting barriers just two months earlier. IOn 30th January 1979, control of the crossing barriers was transferred to New Malden, monitored by closed-circuit television, and Malden Crossing ceased to be.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated