THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Southern Railway

NEWCOURT

Opened: 1944

Closed: —nk—

Location code: S52/21

Newcourt signal box
Photograph by John Hinson, 1976

Is this really a signal box? The answer is yes! It was located on the Exmouth branch, between Topsham and Exmouth Junction.

It opened in 1944 to serve a World War II Ministry of Defence depot, and was built from concrete slabs which were no doubt manufactured at the nearby Exmouth Junction concrete works.

The box contained a Stevens & Sons Dwarf frame of 15 levers - the layout consisted of just a facing crossover and siding connection, although there was also a remote siding ground frame released from here.

The box was only ever opened when required for traffic, worked by a Porter-Signalman.

When the line was singled in 1973, the box was re-classified as a ground frame. It is not known when the depot closed or the box was formerly abolished.

About the photographs

Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here