THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London & South Western Railway

TOTTON

Opened: c1875

Closed: 1982

Location code: S55/32

Totton signal box
Photograph by John Hinson, 1978

Whilst many of the early boxes were all-brick structures, the box at Totton cannot really be put into any architectural category because it is believed that it came into being by having a second floor built on top of the original crossing-keepers cottage that existed here. Evidence of the original cottage can be seen in the outline of a porch on the end wall.

When it became a signal box (around 1875) it was named Eling Crossing, for there was already a signal box controlling a level crossing by the station of that name.

Eling Crossing was provided with a 15-lever Stevens & Sons frame, and controlled the goods sidings for Totton station and a small branch to Eling Wharf. The lever frame was extended to 21 levers when further sidings connections were provided.

In 1925, the box gained importance with the opening of the Fawley branch by the Southern Railway. The original frame was extended again, to total 35 levers. A 16-lever ground frame was also added to control some distant connections. The box was renamed Eling Junction.

In 1930, the original Totton box was abolished, as its level crossing had been closed. Twenty years later, Eling Junction box adopted that name.

During the 1960s and 1970s, the layout was gradually rationalised although the Fawley branch survives for freight use. In 1982, the area was taken over by Eastleigh power box, and the level crossing here is now managed from that box using closed-circuit television.


Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

About the photographs


Comments about this article should be addressed to John Hinson