THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

North British Railway

ARROCHAR & TARBET

Opened: 1894

Closed: 1986

Location code: Sc34/05


Arrochar & Tarbet signal boxMost of the boxes built for the opening of the North British Railway's West Highland line were small single-storey cabins built on the island platforms that were provided at passing points on the single line. This design was not found elsewhere on the NB's network.

A different design of box was used for the West Highland Extension of 1901, an example of which is Banavie Canal Bridge.

The cabin floor was actually a step down from the platform.


Inside Arrochar & Tarbet boxThe boxes were provided with Saxby & Farmer frames, which were otherwise rare in Scotland. It is likely that S&F secured the contract owing to the large size of the contract - perhaps Stevens already had too much work on the books. Fourteen of the seventeen levers are in use at the time of this photograph, and there has been little change since the box opened.

As with the Highland Railway boxes, the signalman resided (with his single-line instruments) in the booking office where he could also sell tickets and carry out general station duties. Some booking offices on the line were also the village Post Office, for which the signalman received a small addition to their wages.

Arrochar & Tarbet box closed in 1986 as the radio-controlled signalling gradually spread its tentacles around the north of Scotland. In 1988 the lever frame was removed for use by the Leadhills & Wanlockhead Railway. The box was later moved a short distance and mounted on a new brick base to act as a waiting shelter, where it remains to this day.


Additional notes by Simon Lowe.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated