THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

London, Midland & Scottish Railway

BLACKFORD

Opened: 1933

Closed: ——

Location code: Sc16/34


Blackford signal boxBlackford is a fine example of the London Midland & Scottish Railway's Scottish Division design, introduced in 1929. The architectural features are discussed on the page for the similar box at Longforgan.

In 1939, simpler architecture was introduced, described at Coupar Angus South.

Situated just south of Gleneagles on the Caledonian' Railway main Glasgow to Perth route, Blackford controls a level crossing and acts as a block post on this line which is still controlled by the Absolute Block system.


Inside Blackford boxA view inside the box shows the 25-lever LMS frame, adopted by the Scottish Division from 1929. Remarkably, in this 1980's view the majority of the levers were still in use.

BR standard blocks are provided (as at Forteviot); these were probably installed as replacements when the Caledonian Railway two-position blocks were removed.

Visible beyond the blocks is a large wall-mounted clock which is probably over a century old. The chances are that this was transferred from the pre-1933 box that existed here.

Although the number of block posts along this route have been reduced (mostly through automation of level crossings), Blackford continues to serve.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated