Location code: Sc43/04
This remarkably solid and imposing box
was located near Alloa on the relatively unimportant line between Stirling and
Dunfermline. Cambus Junction was one of the last to be built to this North
British Railway design (in 1903) which had been in use since as far back as
1873 although other designs had also been used during that period. The practice
of providing sash windows with large pillars between is not common elsewhere,
although the South Eastern Railway adopted similar features in their all-wood
boxes like Edenbridge.
The box controlled a small station with associated sidings, two
level crossings and a single-line branch to Alva. By the time of this
photograph (1981), the main line had been singled and a token exchange landing
can be seen at the foot of the signal box stairs.
original 40-lever Stevens frame was replaced during World War 2 by one of fifty
levers to cater for control an expanded layout. The frame seen in this
photograph is, though, of 55 levers and was a further replacement in 1957 in connection with the opening of the new yard at Alloa to serve a new colleiry on the Alva branch at Glenochil, which turned out to be a failure..
At the far end of the box, a capstan wheel controlling the level
crossing gates, is visible.
Other pages of interest:
All photographs copyright ©
John Hinson unless otherwise stated