THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Caledonian Railway

CAMPERDOWN JUNCTION

Opened: 1903

Closed: 1985

Location code: Sc41/12

Campedown Junction signal boxA non-standard design of signal box believed to have been erected by the Caledonian Railway existed at Camperdown Junction on the north side of Dundee. The lines here were jointly owned and operated by the North British Railway, so it is possible they had input to the design too.

The box opened in 1903, during a period when the Caledonian Railway were building quite ornate boxes on their Northern Division (see Oban), but it does bear some similarity with Ferryhill Junction at Aberdeen where, interestingly, the North British were also involved.

A 52-lever frame originally controlled the complex layout of the approaches to the Dundee East terminal station as well as connections to the though lines to Glasgow and Edinburgh via Dundee Tay Bridge station.

What is most striking about the box is the partially cantilevered operating floor. Only part of this is built in timber - the back wall is in brick continuing up from the base.

Close examination of the brickwork suggest that the box was extended an additional 50% at the left-hand end at some time in its life; this would make the odd pair of windows in the front wall centred on the original size. This extension would have been in connection with the provision of a new 95-lever frame at some stage in the box's life.

Camperdown Junction closed on 17th March 1985 when operation was taken over by a new panel box at Dundee.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated