THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Portpatrick & Wigtownshire Joint Railway

GLENLUCE

Opened: 1890

Closed: 1965

Location code: Sc66/10

Glenluce box
Photograph 29/5/65, by Dr J W F Scrimgeour

The majority of the boxes on the Portpatrick & Wigtownshire were relatively small cabins at passing stations on the single line, and Glenluce is typical of such.

Opened in 1890, luck befell it (like most boxes along the line) that it was erected during the Glasgow & South Western's alternate years of responsibility for the signalling. Architecturally, the design corresponds with that of Kilkerran.

Originally, the box contained a 16-lever frame, although this was enlarged to 17 in 1942 in connection with World War II extensions to the crossing loops; the Stranraer end becoming motor-operated. At that time, full track-circuiting was installed between here and Dunragit, allowing Tablet operation to be superseded by the use of direction levers.

Glenluce itself, like many boxes on the line, was originally able to switch out - allowing minimal staffing at night along the line for the sporadic night ferry traffic. However, this feature was withdrawn with the 1942 changes.

The box remained in use right up to the line's closure on 5th July 1965.

 

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated