THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great North of Scotland Railway

INVERURIE

Opened: 1902

Closed: ——

Location code: Sc62/14


Inverurie signal boxMost signal boxes on the Great North of Scotland Railway were fairly small structures, but the presence of the company's headquarters, main locomotive works and a branch to Old Meldrum no doubt all contributed to the need for this grand structure built at Inverurie.

In contrast to earlier plain designs (see Dyce and Huntly), this style (introduced in 1896) incorporates elegant roof ridge-tiles, large window panes and decorative treatment of the timberwork.

When first opened, the box was named "Inverurie New Station" although the full title was soon dropped. The original Inverurie Station box was reduced to ground frame status, and renamed Inverurie Old Sidings) when this box opened.


Inside Inverurie box The box originally contained a 72-lever frame, but when the line was singled in 1970 all remaining boxes received brand new frames constructed to Stevens' design by the Railway Signal Company. It is amazing to think that these frames were built in 1970 to a design that originated around 1870. The Scottish Region had always stuck with the "keep it simple and solid" principle whilst other in other parts of the country increasingly complicated and expensive to maintain "advanced" designs were developed.

The new frame in Inverurie comprises just 30 levers, controlling a vastly simplified layout of just a passing loop and two sets of sidings. Scottish Region Tokenless Block working was introduced when the line was singled - these instruments are the grey steel-cased box on the block shelf.

The box is still in use, and has changed little since these photographs were taken in the early 1980s.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated