THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Great North of Scotland Railway

KENNETHMONT

Opened: 1880

Closed: ——

Location code: Sc62/20

Kennethmont signal boxKennethmont box is not at all typical of Great North of Scotland Railway practice, for it is a standard Railway Signal Company structure (similar to Hoylake) but fitted with a hipped roof - although without the impressive overhang of Banavie Canal Bridge. The RSC have left their mark on the front of the box in the form of a cast-iron makers plate just above the locking-room window.

The box opened in 1880 as Kennethmont West, but adopted the present name when the East box closed in 1896 after the line was doubled. The only other box known to this design was found at Craigellachie West, and as this opened in 1900 it is likely that it had been moved from Kennethmont East.

When the line was singled in 1970, the box received a new RSC frame similar to that at Inverurie, and is still in use today.



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated