THE SIGNAL BOX

PHOTO GALLERY

Highland Railway

ROGART NORTH

Opened: 1894

Closed: 1985

Location code: Sc59/20

Rogart North signal boxBoth of the boxes at Rogart were medium-sized boxes built by Dutton & Co as part of the 1894 resignalling. The North box contained just ten levers (compare it with Rogart South), and it is surprising a smaller box, like Georgemas North, wasn't built here.

The box has been built roughly mid-way between the level crossing and the one pair of points controlled from the frame. The rodding working the bolt on the gates can be seen on the right of the track.

Adjacent to that, by the bridge, can be seen a Manson tablet delivery mechanism, provided to allow trains to exchange tablets at speed without any risk to the signalman. These were designed by a Great North of Scotland Railway engineer by the name of James Manson, but were also used by other railways as he did not patent the design to encourage use of the system on grounds of safety..

The box closed with the mass introduction of electronic systems in 1985.

Additional notes by Braid Anderson



Buy prints of photographs
at 433shop
Click here

All photographs copyright © John Hinson unless otherwise stated